Monday, April 23, 2007

The birds in the sky sang today, you wonder how you never noticed it before. It isn’t particularly beautiful but there is something about it, the way it slips in and out of the sunshine that streaks the maudlin-blue Plexiglas windows creating light blue shapes dancing all over the room. Outside, there is a man with the biggest, most luminous grin holding the door open for me. I couldn’t help grin back - creasing my jaw and holding it still till every muscle in my face ached. The children yelped in joy and swam haywire in the pool, each shimmering brown body an amalgam of bliss and forgetfulness. From a disintegrating, ancient headphone, I heard Born Under a Bad Sign and nodded along. Tunnananananun. Tun. Twantwantwantwang. I held hands, shook my head, grinned and walked into the sunlight and back into archaic foundations full of people jostling and crying out to each other, clicking photographs and holding themselves and each other from toppling over due to sheer excitement. I yelled a few names, a few hundred extraordinary, incandescent faces twirled. Somebody called out to me. We hugged and jumped around. I remember falling but couldn’t feel pain. It was surreal, I was as high as a kite, I must have had something really strong, they say.

- It’s just been a long time since I was happy, I say.

Everything was so perfect this way, even my joblessness, even my loneliness. Everything was touched by a hint of auricular April sunlight.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would try and say something clever about a rose-tinted April afternoon but it doesn't quite gel with the light blue...

11:11 PM  
Blogger De.vile said...

Yeah, I guess I am just too fond of colours :)

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments. I think you write beautifully. I know how this sort of day feels. Exquisite.

1:38 AM  
Blogger `NEFTY said...

Lovely writing! && I felt the same when I had heard the bird's singing and a warm sun hit my face, Spring was here, the harsh winter is gone! lol.

2:43 AM  
Blogger De.vile said...

Fuck it now, happiness sucks. Sadness makes good poetry :P

8:49 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Hermit said...

Tunnananananun. Tun. Twantwantwantwang.

the best riff ever.. I like the structure of it, you can always predict whats coming next. a kind of inevitability about it

2:59 AM  
Blogger De.vile said...

That's Hendrix for you

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home